Y’all know I love my self care all year round! So I’m going to share with you my favorite ways to exhibit and work on my self care in the fall and as we enter into the winter. It’s not as easy to step outside and lay in the sun for hours or take a walk along the beach, but there are still ways to get your self care in and celebrate the season.
My current favorite way to get some time to myself and focus on something other than the whirlwind of life has been reading!! Even just reading ten pages of a book a day is so so good for you and your mind. This is my escape from the real world and into another place where I can fully focus my mind on another story. I’ve been trying to read before I go to bed and at least once during the day. Everyone has been raving about Colleen Hoover books- so I read It Starts With Us which is the sequel to It Ends With Us. Which I have yet to read. I’d also like to read Verity and Reminders of Him by Colleen Hoover. Right now, I am reading When Life Gives You Lululemons by Lauren Weisberger. I tend to thrift most of my books from local thrift stores (or my attic). My friend, Emma, introduced me to this app called Thriftbooks where you can purchase books you’re looking for at discounted prices. Sometimes I wait for books to go on sale at Barnes and Noble, but they never go on sale as much as I would like them to.
Fitness is another amazing way to release endorphins and relax while also doing something you’ll thank yourself for later. Normally, in the summer I am an outdoor runner, but once it gets colder I lean more towards spin classes and my Peloton. I tried my first pilates class last night and fell in love with it! You can also always do workouts on your own, without going to a gym. This summer, my mom bought me ankle weights and they’re amazing for doing workouts inside or even just wearing while I clean and put laundry away. You can do the stairs in your house or do bodyweight exercises like lunges, squats, and pushups.
Lighting a fall scented candle and watching Netflix. I am such a Bath and Body Works girl to my core. There’s nothing like a pumpkin three wick scented candle. (Bonus points for Mahogany Teakwood.) Lately, I have been watching That 70s Show on Peacock because it’s a great background filler show and it always makes me laugh. Some of my other favorite series I’ve watched are Gossip Girl, Gilmore Girls, Euphoria (bring back Euphoria Sundays), and Outer Banks (My actual comfort show- I’ve rewatched it way too many times).
Finally, another one of my favorite ways to exhibit self care in the fall is baking. I don’t get to bake a lot at school because the dorms aren’t the same as being at home. But, I love making apple pie, cookies, or any kind of seasonal treat. While I was home with Covid, I made a caramel apple bark from Pinterest that was unreal.
Personally, I love the fall and everything that comes with it. The transition from fall to the winter can be a difficult time for me. I am not a fan of the colder weather and the lack of sun/ being trapped inside isn’t always the best thing for my mental health. Especially once it gets cold, I know motivation tends to become lost in the fray. However, always keep in mind your end goal! Everyday is an opportunity to better yourself and wake up and do something for your own benefit. The sun will always rise again and tomorrow is always a new day!
- It Starts With Us by Colleen Hoover https://www.amazon.com/Starts-Us-Novel-Ends/dp/1668001225/ref=asc_df_1668001225/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=563701549165&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16501275943242006505&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001635&hvtargid=pla-1633292274882&psc=1
- It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover https://www.amazon.com/Ends-Us-Novel-Colleen-Hoover/dp/1501110365/ref=sr_1_1?crid=112F9EF1U4WM1&keywords=it+ends+with+us&qid=1668093657&s=books&sprefix=it+ends+with+us%2Cstripbooks%2C77&sr=1-1
- Verity by Colleen Hoover https://www.amazon.com/Verity-Colleen-Hoover/dp/1538724731/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3E5UNDXAX6C0O&keywords=verity&qid=1668093707&s=books&sprefix=verity%2Cstripbooks%2C178&sr=1-1
- Reminders of Him by Colleen Hoover https://www.amazon.com/Reminders-Him-Novel-Colleen-Hoover/dp/1542025605/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1TM3J72ID3ZBT&keywords=reminders+of+him+colleen+hoover&qid=1668093755&s=books&sprefix=reminder%2Cstripbooks%2C78&sr=1-1
- When Life Gives You Lululemons by Lauren Weisberger https://www.amazon.com/When-Life-Gives-You-Lululemons/dp/1476778450/ref=sr_1_1?crid=HQY5O6WUJX0A&keywords=when+life+gives+you+lululemons&qid=1668093856&s=books&sprefix=when+life%2Cstripbooks%2C87&sr=1-1
- Thriftbooks https://www.thriftbooks.com